Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Arabesque

This is an image from Arabesque: Graphic Design from the Arab World and Persia. Although I don't think this is advertising anything (the book just says that it's an experimental work under photography, Photoshop, and freehand), it really stood out to me. The artist, Ibrahim Eslam, is from Egypt, and that is clearly where he got the majority of his inspiration. The head is really similar to the mummies of ancient Egypt, which I've always been fascinated by. There are numerous other elements in the image, including what looks to me like a human heart (hanging beneath the head), as well as gears, pulleys, and wires. It's almost like the artist is trying to mix old and new with living and dead, and in my opinion, it just makes for a very striking piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment